Monday, August 11, 2008

Saying goodbye to a hero

As most locals know, on August 1st United States Army Sgt. Ryan Baumann, of Great Mills, died in Afghanistan from injuries suffered after his vehicle encountered an improvised explosive device. My husband heard last week that people were being asked to line the route that would take Sgt. Baumann to Arlington this morning. Let me just say that it was one of the most moving scenes I have ever witnessed. I took the kids and went to the St. Mary's/Charles County line only to find a beautiful flag hanging over the road from the ladders of two firetrucks, dozens of other firetrucks and emergency vehicles from all over the county lining the road, Firefighters and Police Officers and Soldiers and Marines and Sailors and Airmen, all in uniform, and a community that came together on a simply beautiful morning to say thank you and goodbye to a man who so bravely gave his life in the service of our country.


I wanted to share a couple of photos here tonight to ask everyone to please keep Sgt. Baumann's loved ones in your thoughts and prayers in the coming days. And also, as you kiss your kids goodnight and settle yourself into bed, please remember all of the men and women in uniform who are in harm's way keeping watch tonight. The thanks that we owe them is beyond words...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

so so sad...will keep his family in my prayers.

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry. The family is in my heart and prayers. Bless you.